Haley's Corner

Friday, May 06, 2005

ballicious


This morning I woke up and was pleasantly relieved when my yucky old tennis ball that I had gone to sleep next to, was still there by my right elbow. I smelled it, nudged it with my nose, and somehow while I was thinking about all the places I wanted to take it this morning, I fell back asleep, and dreamed.

My yellow ball
is like the sun
I wake and think
of all the fun
we'll have today
for it is like
a summer day
so clear and bright

my tennis ball
i keep so near
because sometimes
it disappears
and this i think
is very weird
for I do not move it
and this is clear

ahh my yellow ball
well it used to be
is really brown
and a bit less fuzzy
but that is when
it tastes the best
and for this reason
I cannot rest

okay i think
i'm safe for now
i'll just take a nap
and let my eyelids bow
and it will stay right
near my head
and it shall not move
it will be like lead

ahh my tennis ball
i love it so
brings such joy
for all who know
the simple joys
of the tennis ball
so cute, so dirty
it has it all.

:)Haley

8 Comments:

  • Dat's a nice yellow ball poem. "Ode To Da Tennis Ball".

    By Blogger Heidi, at 1:59 PM  

  • I know that you really love tennis balls so much. And that poem gives the world a taste of how you feel about this wonderful object.

    There's so much you can do with a tennis ball. You can smell it. You can roll it. You can drop it in the grass. You can drop it on the sidewalk and watch it bounce. You can drop it in a bowl of water. You can roll it around in your mouth. You can chew on it. You can take a nap next to it. You can chase it. You can bring it back. You can love it.

    And after you do all these things you can do them all over again in a different order. Whoever invented tennis balls should be given some kind of statue or something. I would make the statue out of yellow fuzzy stuff that smells just like tennis balls. And then someone could throw the statue and then you could smell it, you could roll it. You could drop it in the grass. You could drop it on the sidewalk and watch it bounce. You could . . .

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:56 PM  

  • Cal, you forgot my favorite tennis ball activity...you can bury it!

    -Woof! (China)

    By Blogger Brandi Mills, at 8:02 AM  

  • Thanks everyone for sharing in my love of tennis balls.

    heidi: I think my next poem I shall use a little of dat flare you have in your cute little accent...it could add so much to an ode to a ....sorry, da tennis ball!"

    cal: Great idea on celebrating the 'maker' or inventor of our now so loved furry yellow tennis ball!

    china: You know, I can't believe I forgot the burying..yes, yes, burying it is a GRAND idea. That way when i think the ball is getting so wonderfully dirty and tasty and I sense my sidekick closing in on the 'throwing away time" I can did a hole and hide it from her!" Brilliant.

    Heidi the Bichon: Thanks Heidi, I bet you have a poem or two in you about sleeping huh?

    :)Haley

    By Blogger Haley the Fabulous Ball-loving Black Lab, at 5:19 PM  

  • What a great poem! Maybe I should give poety a try. I've been exploring my feminine side lately with all the dancing....

    naah I'm gonna go run through the sprinkler instead.

    By Blogger Splash, at 10:51 AM  

  • Splash! Get that feminine side going there dude! Or even the male side...poetry doesn't care whether it's source is feminine or masculine.

    Or.......yeah, running through the sprinkler sounds good too!

    :)Haley

    By Blogger Haley the Fabulous Ball-loving Black Lab, at 4:52 PM  

  • Tennis balls aren't my thing but I love ice cubes!

    "Rhyme of the Ice Cube"

    It's white and wet
    It's cold and yet
    It's crunchy food
    It's my ice cube!

    Whew. That was hard. Maybe I'll do a Song to Bananas next.

    Sammy

    By Blogger Sam the black GSD, at 7:59 PM  

  • Nice Sammy! You're right, ice cubes are so great! Hmmmm, a poem about banana's! I can't wait to hear it! Go Sammy, go Sammy, go Sammy, go!

    :)Haley

    By Blogger Haley the Fabulous Ball-loving Black Lab, at 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home