Haley's Corner

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Newly Discovered Used Treasures

Today, my side-kick found, outside in the garden, under some of last year's mulch and semi-composted leaves, a dirty, ragged, stinky, wet tennis ball that I almost flipped my lab-lid when she found it!!!! What a treasure! I ran to her, tail wagging and eyes wide open, wondering if the excitement of finding that ball was as wonderful to her as it was to me!

It was nothing short of a spring weekend miracle!! A great way to start this season - and as I stood there for what seemed minutes, my brown eyes beamed a hole through my sidekick's psyche, eliminating any doubt that yes, indeed, giving me that ball would be the best idea of the day!!!!!!! And she did.

Do you think it is only a coincidence that *ball* spelled backwards is *llab*? I don't think so either!

For all of you dogs everywhere, I wish you new and old treasures to find and smell on this fine spring day.

"A ball by any other name would smell as sweet"

5 Comments:

  • Hi Haley! It's good to have another Ball-Hunter (Lab) to write to. I personally prefer my soft frisbee, but I totally understand the tennis ball obsession thing too.

    By Blogger Splash, at 9:58 PM  

  • Hey Splash! Ahhh yes, the soft frisbee. While growing up, my sidekick didn't introduce me to a frisbee until later on in my second year, and by then I thought it was a chew toy and not something to retrieve, so she would throw it and I would just lay down on top of it and begin to chew it!~ Seemed appropriate at the time.

    But thanks for the frisbee tip-off Splash! I'll see what I can do about getting one this summer.

    :)Haley

    By Blogger Haley the Fabulous Ball-loving Black Lab, at 8:01 AM  

  • I like to get dogs and humans to chase me when I have that soft frisbee in my mouth. Don't get the point of retrieving something over and over again, but I like to herd dogs that retrieve a lot!

    Cal

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:07 PM  

  • Yes, I understand now! It is becoming clear to me now....that there are herders, retrievers; there are sit down and chewers, there are barkers and diggers, and don't move from the 'lap'pers; let's not forget about the lickers the droolers, the smilers, the winkers, the scratchers and best of all, the sniffers! Well, I guess we all fall into that last category! Thank dog for all of differences! Life is good!

    By Blogger Haley the Fabulous Ball-loving Black Lab, at 3:51 PM  

  • You guys are sooo lucky. I don't fetch anything but my stuffed toys and rawhide chips. And that is only when I want to. I think I missed out on a lot of great times when I was young. By the time I was adopted I think I had spent too much time on the streets. When we play and my humans throw anything for me to fetch I just sit there, look at them and wag my tail. They keep trying. Maybe I will pick up on it one of these days.

    Freda

    By Blogger Freda, at 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home