Haley's Corner

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Size Really Doesn't Matter

My weekend is coming to a close and it has been a good one. My pal Peroshki got a bath yesterday and it was ...well, how should I say? It was entertaining. For me anyway.

When I get a bath, I hop into the bathtub and my sidekick uses the spray thingy and she covers me with oatmeal shampoo while feeding me treats when I stand still, fighting the urge to shake, shake, shake! It’s so hard not to shake sometimes. Peroshki's bath was different. First of all, I don't know how *his* pack normally gives him baths, but he does not like that spray thingy for sure. He kept looking up and turning around staring at it, wondering what the heck it was going to do to him! The sidekick lathered him up and he shook and shook and snorted and squirmed and sneezed and got the sidekick all wet and sudsy. I kept looking at him whispering when I could "Just stand stiiiiill. It will go faster that way. You'll be out in noooooo time. Just stop shaking so much....you gotta settle down!"

Well, after his bath, the sidekick was all exhausted so I did not get a bath. Which is fine with me, because I doubt even a BATH will get me treats these days. Soon after he was dry, Peroshki got all feisty! He has this little stuffed bear that he brought from his house. He would take in his mouth and bring it to me, drop it, look up at me and as I would make a move to nab it, he would snatch it up and start running around the house!

He'd run and run, his little muscular legs taking him as fast as he could! And being a rather small dog, he could go into places where I couldn't! At one point he ran under a plant stand and as I waited on the other side for him to run out, I realized just how small he is! When he did finally come out from underneath the stand, he was running at top speed (and still, remember...it took him nearly 8 seconds to run the length of a very narrow plant stand) clinching onto that bear in mouth! He was so happy to be playing with his cute little bear, or just to be out of the bath or something! Ahhhhh, little Peroshki.
__________________________________________

Today is the last day Peroshki stays with us. Tomorrow his pack returns and our lives will return to the way they were before he stayed with us. We will see each other sometimes in the back yard or while we are out on walks. But I will miss my tiny friend. I have told him how easy and fun blogging is, and how he can probably use his pack's computer to blog...of course keeping aware of the safety issues that go along with using keyboards, and hopping up onto high places with no safety net to catch him, etc. (He forgets how small he is I think.) But I understand, because he has some pretty grand ideas about things. Big wonderful ideas come from little bundles of fur. That's why I have encouraged him to do the blogging thing.

Peace to the all the small things in our lives that bring us such large bouts of joy!

:)Haley

4 Comments:

  • Sounds like Peroshki's baths go about the way mine use to go. I would shower with my main guy and just wear him out. Then there was the problem of all the hair on the walls of the shower and my buddies bad back. After two or three such episodes I asked if I could have my baths at the groomers. I like it better that way. I get to meet and greet other dogs and I smell really good when I get home. Certianly better than my guy after our 'wet wrestling matches'.

    Freda

    By Blogger Freda, at 10:08 PM  

  • I just love a nice bath. The toweling part at the end makes all the stinky shampoo part worth sitting through.

    I also adore the hair dryer. I get my tail blow-dried every morning. Have you ever tried that Haley? It's great!

    By Blogger Splash, at 9:48 AM  

  • Peroshki rules! Glad you didn't lose him down the drain or in the towel or anything. P is lots of fun, I bet you are gonna miss him tons during the day.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:33 AM  

  • I dooooooo miss him. But he left some of his little black furs around, so minus the big eyes and ticka ticka ticka (the sound his claws make when running across the floors), it feels like he's kind of still here!

    :)Haley

    By Blogger Haley the Fabulous Ball-loving Black Lab, at 8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home